Monday, May 21, 2007

Show at the Hammer Museum




I wasn't really impressed. My overall feeling is that Vija Celmins is a little bit obsessive. I like to look at the night sky, too, but why produce so many of them? Although I understand the artists who create their work for therapeutic reasons, that seems to be the case. She is very skillfull, though, and I liked some of her work that had political aspect.



Regarding the film by Austrian artist Mathias Poledna "Crystal Palace": It's nice to bring the nature into the movie theaters. But so what? It lookes like an attempt to be unique and experimental without having a great idea.





Erik van Lieshout is not my type of an artist, either. I like the art that has roughness to it, but I want to see a great idea and aesthetics, too. His stuff looked like another desperate attempt to be unique by a graduate student.

No comments: