Friday, May 18, 2007

Venturous Vanguard Video Festival 2007


I really liked the variety of work there. It ranged from experimental animation to experimental documentaries.
I think my favorite piece was Ode to Persephone (3 min) by Swati Khurana. She is from India, but she lives in New York. The piece is very poetic, it basically shows the women against white background playing with the flowers, and it's inter-cut with narrative poetic interpretation of the myth: "Her love for flowers led her into darkness... She is not afraid of winter, she is afraid of forgetting that spring exists..."

The other piece that I really liked was Tudo (5 min) by Maria Rosa Jijon, Italy. It really reminded me "Nostalgia" by Andrey Tarkovski. It looks like a short film in a documentary style. It has a very poetic narrative (which I really appreciated as I know some Spanish) that compares the life conditions and circumstances of people of upper and lower social class. The narrator is a homeless person. This long list of comparison and contrast ends with the words: "...but we love life, too..."

For more info go to www.contemporarymap.org

No comments: