Saturday, March 10, 2007

Icons of Sinai



I made it to the Icons from Sinai show on the last day. I wish it wasn't the last day, because the show was magnificent. To me, it really had a healing effect. I spent about 3 hours there, meditating on the icons and researching the historical background. One of the interesting things that I learned is that the monastery of St. Catherine was built at the spot where, according to the legend, Mouses saw the burning bush. There is also a very interesting (symbolic and poetical) parallel between the burning bush and the Virgin Mary.

Among the icons that had the strongest impact on me are the large icon of St. Peter (realistic-looking face-I believe that's what St. Peter looked like). Very interesting icon by El Greco with St Catherine's monastery at Sinai, the way he imagined it. Virgin Mary with Archangel Gabriel (I forgot the English name for the scene)-golden leaf-you can see the Holy Spirit descending. If you look at a certain angle, you can see the crucifixion in the center.

I wish I could come there again, but it was the last day of the show.

No comments: