Saturday, March 24, 2007

Revealed: Women, Art, Life, Success

I really liked the discussion. It was very informative. I think my favorite question was about combining artistic career with raising kids. (It was actually the first question asked by the audience members). There was a variety of answers united by one theme: "It's hard". Although woman who already have kids didn't regret it.

Here are a few comments that I liked:

"We behave like we have a profession. [ ] We have a calling." - Judy Baca

"When you do public art, you're invisible."- Kim Abeles

"For the public art, I'm always amazed how it can be so personal." - Kim Abeles

"You are talking about emerging... if it doesn't work, just re-emerge. [ ] Just find the place for yourself."


I also liked the comments of Judy Baca on the concept of success in art. I always defined it like being able to make the living with art. According to Judy, the real success in art is to be able to express yourself, to say what you want, and to work with people that you like.

No comments: